India is a Asian country located North side of Equator. It is a large and populated country. Area wise it ranks seventh in the world and population wise it is the second most populous country of the world.
Position of India:
Position of India:
- The co-ordinate of India is 21⁰ N and 78⁰ E.
- India is surrounded by China, Nepal, Bhutan in north; Myanmar, Bangladesh in east, Sri Lanka in south; Pakistan in west.
- Three oceans protects India’s half of the boundary. In east- Bay of Bengal; In south-Indian Ocean; In west- Arabian Sea
- Himalaya, Eastern Ghats, Western Ghats, Vindhya, Satpura, Aravalli ranges are the main mountain ranges of India
- Kanchenjunga is the highest mountain peak of India.
- Deccan Plateau is the largest plateau of India and the Ladakh plateau is the highest plateau of India.
- Andaman is the largest island of India and Majuli is the largest river island of world located in Assam, India.
- India has only one dessert which is the Thar dessert. It is located in the state Rajasthan.
- Ganges is the longest river of India. Its length is 2525 Km and about 2010 Km of its length is flown from India.
- Indian rivers are classified into- North Indian Rivers (Ganges, Indus, Brahmaputra, Luni) and South Indian Rivers (Krishna, Kaveri, Godavari, Narmada).
- Ganges is the main river of North India and Godavari is the main river of South India.
- India is divided into 29 states, 6 union territories, 1 national capital territory.
- Rajasthan is the largest state of India followed by Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, UP.
- UP is the most populous state of India followed by Maharashtra, Bihar, and West Bengal.
- Half of the population of India is connected with the agriculture.
- Main corps produced in India are- Rice, Wheat, Jute, Cotton, Tea, Coffee, Jowar, Bajra, Ragi.
- India is the second most rice producer of world and fourth most wheat producer of world