Chennai is the capital of Indian state Tamilnadu. It is one of the best cities to live in India. It is one of the best educational, economic center of India.
- Chennai is the fourth largest city of India (Area wise) and sixth largest city (Population wise).
- Chennai was formally known as Madras. In 1996, the name was changed from Madras to Chennai.
- It is famously called as “Detroit of India”. As most of the automobile industry is located here. About one third automobile industry of the country is here.
- The city lies on the thermal equator which makes it one of the hottest city of world. In May and June, the temperature rises to 40-degree C. It is generally referred as Agni Nakshatram ("fire star") or Kathiri Veyyil.
- World’s second oldest Municipal Corporation -Greater Chennai Corporation governs Chennai. It was established in 1688.
- It has the largest number of Heritage buildings in India after Kolkata. Some of them are - Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, Madras High Court, Ripon Building, Chepauk Palace, College of Engineering, National Art Gallery.
- It is also known for its art, dance, and culture. It is one of the important center of oldest dance form Bharata Natyam.
- World’s second largest beach - Marina Beach is in Chennai.
- It is one of the most attractive tourist destination. It is one of the most favored spot for the foreign tourists in India. That’s why it is sometimes referred as Gateway of South India. Some of the famous places are – Mahabalipuram (UNESCO World Heritage site), Madras Crocodile Bank Trust, Mariana Beach, Elliots Beach, Arignar Anna Zoological Park (One of the largest zoological park of Asia).
- Chennai is the center of major Hospitals and Medical Facilities. It is sometimes referred as India’s health capital.