Meghnad Saha was an Indian astrophysicist. He is famous for discovering the Saha equation or the ionization formula.
|Meghnad Saha (1893-1956)|
- He was born on October 6, 1893 in Sheoratali of Dhaka, in non independent India.
- His father was Jagannath Saha and his mother was Bhubaneshwari Devi. He was the fifth son of them. Jagannath Saha had a small grocery store in the village. Being born in a poor family, he had to face a lot of problems.
- He had done his schooling form Dhaka Collgiate school. Then he took admission in Dhaka College and later in Presidency College, Kolkata.
- In his life, He had the opportunity to have his teachers like Jagadish Chandra Bose, Prafulla Chandra Ray. Famous scientist Satyandranath Bose was his class fellow.
- In 1917, he joined University College of Science in Calcutta as a lecturer. During this time he formulates the Saha Equation. Later he went to the Imperial College of London.
- He helped to establish many renowned institutions in India such as- Institute of Nuclear Physics in Calcutta, Physical Department in Allahabad University. He put a lot of effort to start research in Nuclear Physics in India.
- He also had interest in government works and political affairs. He stood as a candidate in 1952 election and won.
- He died on 16 February, 1956.