Mumbai is the capital of Indian state Maharashtra. It is the center of entertainment, commerce and finance of India. It is one of the oldest cities of India.
- The name Mumbai is originated from the name of goddess Mumbadevi. The name Mumbai was adapted in November 1995. Throughout the history it was called by different names such as- Kakamuchee, Galajunkja, Bombaim, Boon Bay, Bambaye, Bombeye, Bombay.
- Mumbai is build on seven islands- Parel, Colaba, Worli, Bambay Island, Little Colaba, Mahim, Mazagoan.
- It is the commercial capital of India. About five fortune global companies are located in Mumbai and numerous conglomerates are also located here.
- The maximum annual rainfall was recorded in 1954 and the highest rainfall in a day was recorded on 26 July 2005. The highest temperature 40.2 Degree Centigrade was recorded on 28 March 1982 and the lowest temperature 7.4 Degree Centigrade was recorded on 27 January 1962.
- It is also called financial capital of India. RBI, SEBI, BSE, NSE are also present In Mumbai.
- India’s most of the billionaire lives in Mumbai. Forbes Magazine listed Mumbai in the seventh position in the list of Top ten cities for Billionaires.
- Mumbai is represented by six parliamentary constituencies and 36 assembly constituencies.
- The local trains are the main medium of Transportation. About two billion passengers travel per year through local trains.
- Water is supplied in Mumbai from six lakes. Asia’s largest water filtration plant is located in Bhandup.
- Asia’s second largest slum Dharavi is also located in Mumbai.
- Mumbai is also the entertainment capital of India. Hindi and Marathi film industry is also based in Mumbai.
Quick Facts about Mumbai
|Designation||Capital of Maharashtra|
|Other Names||Financial capital of India, Entertainment capital of India, Dream city|
|Co-ordinates||18⁰58’N, 72⁰49’ E|
|Languages||Marathi, Hindi, English|
|Area||4355 Square Kilometers|
|Places to Visit||Marine Drive, Siddhi Vinayak, Iskcon Temple, Nariman Point, Juhu Beach, Elephanta Caves, Film City, Kanheri Caves, Gateway of India, Hanging Garden, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Haji Ali Dargah, Mumba Devi Temple|
|Street Foods||Vada Pav, Kebabs, Pani Puri, Bhel Puri, Gola, Channa Bhatara, Ragda Pattice|
|Festivals||Ganesh Chaturthi, Diwali, Gudhi Padava, Holi, Dussera, Moharram|