Local trains are the inseparable part of Mumbai city. Mumbai’s life gets stuck without the local trains. That is the reason it is also called the lifeline of Mumbai.
- Mumbai suburban railway is the oldest railway system of Asia. The first train was run on 16 April, 1853 between Bori Bunder and Thane.
- Mumbai local trains are famous for its crowding. About 8 million people travel by these trains daily. At the peak hours, hardly any space lefts for the people to put their foot (i.e. Super Dense Crush Load)
- It is the busiest rapid transit system of the world. About 2.66 billion people travel in these trains yearly.
- Mumbai suburban railway is spread over 465 Kilometers and about 2,500 train services are running.
- These trains hardly gets stop. At night, train services are put on hold for only 3-4 hours.
- Indian railways two zonal divisions- Central Railway and Western Railway are responsible for the operation of local trains.
- Mumbai local trains are also known for the accidents. About two thousand people die annually on the Mumbai suburban rail network.