IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) is a part of Indian Railway which provides its services through its website. The services provided by IRCTC are- Online Ticketing, Tourism, and Catering (In some specific trains).
- IRCTC was started on 27th September 1999. From then it has expanded its operation and now plays a critical role in the growth of Indian Railway.
- It is one of the biggest e-commerce portal of India and a key revenue source of Indian Railway. Its revenue is more than the famous e-commerce site flipkart.
- Till 2013, it had about six lakh registered users. About five lakh booking are occurring on daily basis.
- Besides online ticketing, it also organizes different package tours. Some of the packages are- Palace on Wheels, Bharat Darshan, and Golden Chariot etc.
- IRCTC’s headquarter is located in New Delhi. Besides this, five zonal offices of IRCTC’s are located in – Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Secunderabad.
- It received many awards. In 2009, it was declared as the Most Innovative project Award by PC quest. It won website of the year India award in 2014 and in 2008 won National Tourism Award.