A wide variety of food items are consumed by the people of India. Each states of India have its own special type of food items.
- The main grains consumed by Indian are rice and wheat. In the world, India ranks second in the rice production and fourth in the wheat production. In Manipur, a special type of rice ChakhaoAmubi (also known as black rice) is produced.
- India is famous for its spices. A variety of spices and herbs are used by the people of India. Spices are part of Indian food from the Vedic period. Every year large amount of spices are export from India.
- States, Culture, Religion are the main factors which affects the diet of Indian.
- Indian food has mainly six type of flavors’ - Salty, Sour, Sweet, Bitter, Astringent, Spicy. Indian foods are also classified into three categories- Saatvic, Raajsic, Taamsic.
- The oil used in cooking also varies across the India- Mustard oil is used in Eastern India, Coconut oil is used in Western Coast (Kerala), and Sesame oil is used in Southern India, Peanut oil is used in North and West.
- Though the cold drinks are consumed in large amount, Some Indian drinks are equally consumed such as- Lemon Water, Coconut Water, and Sugarcane Juice.
- Dairy products are also popular and used by most of the people of India.
- Some of the popular leaves used in Indian food for flavoring are- Bay leaves (Tej Pata), Coriander leaves, Curry leaves, Mint leaves.