Sudarsan Pattnaik is a famous Indian sand artist. It is his effort for which sand art became popular in India.
- He was born on 15 April, 1977 in a poor family of Odisha. Due to his financial condition, he didn't get the opportunity to study.
- From his childhood, he started drawing images on sand. His house was near the famous Puri Beach of Odisha. Later he started creating sand art at the beach of Puri. These arts received appreciation from the people and gradually he became popular.
- He took participation in many national and international sand art competition. He has won about 27 international competition till now.
- He founded the 'Sudarsan Sand Art Institute' to educate the youth in sand art. He also wrote a book on sand art.
- He also use his art to spread social awareness among the people. His sculpture on global warming earned him a great respect from all over the world.
- In 2014, he was awarded with the Padma Shri by Government of India. He also won Bharat Jyoti award in 2001, National youth award 2005-2006, National tourism award 2005-2006.