Odisha is an Indian state located in the east coast of India. Currently Bhubaneswar is the capital of Odisha. Before 13 April 1948, Cuttack was the capital of it.
- In history, Odisha was known as the Kalinga. The famous Kalinga war was fought here.
- The English spelling of the state’s name was changed from “Orissa” to “Odisha” on 4 November, 2011.
- Many famous temples are located in Odisha. Famous Jagannath temple (one of the char dhams of Hinduism) is also located here.
- The Central Rice Research Institute (CRRI) is located in Cuttack. It is the largest rice research institute of Asia.
- India’s largest coastal lake and world’s second largest lake Chilika Lake is situated in Odisha. Chilika Lake is the home of many migrating birds in winter.
- It is also the home of famous dance form “Odissi”. Odissi is one of the oldest dance form of India.
|Founded on||1 April 1936|
|Population||41,947,358 (Rank 11th)|
|Area||155,820Sq. Km.(Rank 9th)|
|Languages||Oriya, Bangla, Hindi|
|Neighbor Indian States||West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh|
|Districts||30 (Angul, Balangir, Balasore, Bargarh, Bhadrak, Boudh, Cuttack, Debagarh, Dhenkanal, Gajapati, Ganjam, Jagatsinghpur, Jajpur, Jharsuguda, Kandhamal, Kalahandi, Kendrapara, Keonjhar, Khordha, Koraput, Malkangiri, Mayurbhanj, Nabarangpur, Nayagarh, Nuapada, Puri, Rayagada, Sambalpur, Subarnapur, Sundargarh)|
|Symbols||Animal: Sambar Deer, Bird: Indian Roller, Tree: ashwatha, Flower: ashoka|
|Major Cities||Bhubaneswar,Cuttack, Brahmapur, Puri, Rourkela, and Sambalpur|
|Major Rivers||Mahandi, Brahmani, Baitarani, Bahuda, Bansadhara, Subarnarekha, Indirabati|
|Festivals||Ratha Yatra, Taratarini mela, Janmashtami, Nanda Utsav, Sitalshashti, Gamha Purnima|
|Major Tourist Places||Puri, Konark Sun Temple, Chilika Lake, Puri Jagannath Temple, Similipal National Park, Nandan Kanan, Sapta Sajya, Duduma Waterfall|