Indian Navy is the branch of the Indian armed force which protects the Indian sea borders from the external attacks. Indian navy is the fifth largest navy of the world.
- Indians are using the sea for trading and military purposes for a long time. The first tidal dock of India was build during the time of Indus valley civilization (around 2300 B.C.). Many Indian empires in past had used the power of navy (Maurya,Satavahana,Gupta,Pandya, Vijayanagara,Mughal,Maratha etc). Maratha emperor Shivaji is considered as the the ‘Father of Indian Navy’.
- British east India company established their navy East India Company's Marine in 1612 which later became Royal Indian Navy. After the independence of India on 26 January 1950, Royal Indian Navy became Indian Navy. Indian Navy’s first operation was against the Portuguese Navy during the liberation of Goa in 1961.
- Indian Navy has three command centers- Eastern command at Visakhapatnam,Southern command at Kochi,Western command at Mumbai. Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief is the head of each command center.
- Chief of Naval Staff is the head of Indian Navy. Other principle staff officers are- Vice Chief of Naval Staff, Deputy Chief of Naval Staff,Chief of Personnel, Chief of Material, Controller of Logistics Support. Indian Navy’s headquarter is located in New Delhi.
- Indian navy’s first aircraft carrier is INS Vikrant and the largest aircraft carrier of Indian Navy is INS Viraat. All the service ships of Indian navy is prefixed with INS which means Indian Naval Ship or Indian Navy Station.