Indian postal service also known as Indian post office is a most widely distributed postal system in the world (second is china). Indian postal service is run by Indian government. It is a part of Ministry of communications and information technology.
|Indian Post Logo|
- The first post office in India was established by British East India company in Bombay in 1764.
- Postage stamps were first used in India in 1852 at district of scinde (also known as scinde dawk). On 1st October 1854, the first all India stamp was issued. Post independence, India's first postal stamp was issued on 21 November 1947. Independent India's first postal stamp depicted the picture of national flag of India. Mahatma Gandhi was the first person whose picture was depicted on free India's stamp (1948).
- India is divided into 22 postal circles. Each circle is divided into regions. Regions are also further divided into divisions and subdivisions. Beside 22 circles, there is also a base circle. Which provides postal services to Indian armed forces. Each circle is headed by chief postmaster general and region is headed by postmaster general.
- Pincode system was introduced in India on 15 August 1972. In 1880 money order service was first started.
- On 18 February 1911, world's first official airmail flight was started. World's highest post office is located in Hikkim, Himachal Pradesh,India ( height is 4,700 m).
- Beside postal services, Indian post offices also offers different financial services too.