Ustad Bismillah Khan was an Indian classical musician. He used to play shehnai. He was solely responsible for making shehnai popular as it is today.
|Ustad Bismillah Khan|
- He was born on 21 march, 1913 in Dumraon, bihar. His original name was Qamaruddin Khan.
- His parents were Paigambar Khan and Migrant. His grandfather was Rasool Khan. He got his name "Bismillah" from his grandfather. His ancestors were also musicians. His father used to play shehnai in the court of Maharaja Keshav Prasad Singh.
- From his childhood, he was trained for the shehnai. His uncle Ali Baidu Vilayatu started to train him when he was only 6 Years old.
- He came in the spotlight in 1937 with his concert in Calcutta all India music conference. He played shehnai at redfort of Delhi on 15 August, 1947. He also performed for the first republic day ceremony on 26 January, 1950. He had performed all over the world - Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Japan, Usa.
- He received many awards and honours. Some of them are -bharat ratna (2001), Padma vibhushan (1980), Padma bhushan (1968), Padma shri (1961), tansen award.
- He was died on 21 August, 2006 due to cardiac arrest. He was buried at fatemain burial ground of Varanasi.