Azim Premji is an Indian businessman. He is the chairman of WIPRO and main person behind the success of WIPRO Ltd. He is one of the richest man in India.
He was born on 24 July, 1945 in mumbai to a gujrati Muslim family.
- His father Hasham Premji was also a businessmen and owner of the company western india vegetable products. Later Azim Premji took over the charge of the company. He married with Yasmeen. They have two children -Rishad, Tariq.
- He joined the St. Marry's school in Mumbai. Later he took admission in the Stanford university, Usa. He was unable to complete his electrical engineering degree in Stanford because of the sudden death of his father. He returned to India and took the position of his father's in his company. He was only 21 years old at that time.
- When he joined WIPRO, its main business area was hydrogenated cooking fats,soaps, vegetable oil. Under Azim Premji's guidance WIPRO expanded its business area and entered into the business of softwares. In a few years WIPRO became a one of the largest IT company of india. He made the million dollars company into a billion dollars company.
- He is one of the richest man in India. Forbes regarded him as the richest person of India from 1999 to 2005.
- He believes in the philanthropic causes. He founded the Premji foundation in 2001. These organization works to improve educational facilities, mainly in the rural areas. He is the first Indian who joined the giving pledge ( a promise to give away the most of his wealth to philanthropic causes).
- He has received many awards and accolades. Some of them are Padma bhushan, Padma vibhushan. He was selected as the most influential people by Times magazine.