Gupta Empire was one of the greatest empires which had ruled India. During this time India made a huge progress in science, arts and literature. Thus, this period is sometime referred as “Golden Age of India”.
- Maharaja Sri Gupta was the founder of the Gupta empire and Shashakgupta was the last emperor of this empire.
- Gupta Empire was existed about 230 years from 320 CE to 550 CE.
- Nalanda University was build during this time. This university was the centre for the education at that time.
- The great Mathematician Aryabhata was lived during this age. He discovered the number “0” and value of Pi. He wrote “Aryabhatiya” and “Suryasiddhanta”.
- Kalidas the great poet was also belonged to this period. His some of the greatest works are “Abhigyana Shakuntalam”, “Meghaduttam”.
- The great Physician Dhanvantari was also born in this era.
- The Ajanta Paintings were also created during this age.
Some famous emperors of Gupta Dynasty
|Chandragupta||319-335 A.D||He was the son of Ghatotkacha and grandson of Srigupta
He fought many battles and expanded the gupta empire.
He married to Kumaradevi which made the gupta empire a powerful empire.
He took the title 'Maharajadiraja' , which means king of kings
|Samudragupta||335 - 375 A.D||He was the son of Chandragupta.
He expanded the empire easily. He also organised Ashwamedha yajna. He is called "Indian Napoleon".
During this time many great discoveries were made in different fields.
He was also called Kaviraj. He wrote many poems.
He was believer of Hinduism but also respected other religions.
|Chandragupta II||375 - 414 A.D||He was the son of Samudragupta.
He is also known as Vikramaditya.
He conquered the peninsula of Saurashtra via the Arabian Sea.
His court had Navaratna (Nine Jewels). Kalidas was one of the jewel among this Navaratna.
Some of the great hindu art were created during his reign
|Kumaragupta||415 - 455 AD||He was the son of Chandragupta II.
He assumed the title, Mahendraditya.
Nalanda was established during his reign.
|Skandagupta||455 - 467 A.D||He was the son of Kumaragupta.
He took the title of Vikramaditya and Kramaditya.
He defeated the Pushyamitra who became powerful during the period of Kumaragupta.
He also defeated the White Hunas. This war effected the wealth of the gupta empire.