Shivaji also known as Chhatrapati Shivaji was an Indian emperor and founder of Maratha Empire. Shivaji Maharaj was a brave and kind emperor.
- He was born around 7 April, 1627 in a fort of Pune (there is a confusion about the exact date).
- His parents were Shahaji Bhosale and Jijabai. His father was a Mercenary of Bijapur sultan. His Guru Dadoji Kondeo was a friend of Shahaji. His mother and his guru transferred the idea of Hindavi Swarajya (an empire which will be ruled by Hindu king and not by Muslim king) to him.
- From childhood he was a brave boy and showed the qualities of a ruler. He had great interest in religious teachings. He studied Ramayana and Mahabharata with great interest.
- His first attack was on the Torna fort. He captured the fort only at an age of 16. After capturing Torna fort, he captured Kondana and Rajgad forts. At the rise of Shivaji’s power Bijapur sultan arrested his father. Shivaji captured the forts of Purander and Javeli after rescuing his father from the Bijapur sultan’s prison.
- Mughal samrat Aurangzeb sent Jai Singh and Dilip Khan to stop Shivaji. Shivaji was forced to sign the treaty of Purander. According to this treaty, he gave about 24 forts to mughal king. He was invited to Agra by Aurangjeb. He was arrested and imprisoned in Agra. But he escaped from Agra and returned to his kingdom. Returning from imprison, he recaptured the forts which he lost in the treaty of Purander. During this time he took the title ‘Chhatrapati’.
- He was the head person in his administration. But there were other persons and cabinets (Ashtapradhan mandal composed of eight ministers) to help him. Many taxes were collected at that time but he never collected taxes forcefully. People had the freedom to choose any religion. He took care of his people like a father.
- He built a strong army. He introduced the guerrilla warfare tactics. He also built a strong Navy. He is called the “Father of Indian Navy”.
- Shivaji died in 1680 after suffering fever for 3 weeks.
Quick facts about Shivaji
|Family:||Father: Shahaji Bhosale Mother: Jijabai|
|A.K.A||Chhatrapati Shivaji, Father of Indian Navy|
|Famous as:||Founder of Maratha empire|