Indian railway is one of the most used transport system in India. Over 25 million people daily use Indian rail for travel purpose.
|Indian Railway Logo|
- The first train in India ran on 16 April, 1853 between Mumbai and Thane (the distance was 34 kilometer). The second train ran on 1854 from Howrah to Hooghly. The first electric train ran in 1929 from Mumbai to Pune.
- Indian Railway network is the fourth largest network in the world. The rankings are- 1) USA 2) Russia 3) China 4) India.
- IR has about 65,000 Km of route and 7,500 stations.
- Indian Railway Network is divided into 16 zones. General Manager controls a zone. Northern railway is the largest zone and North-East frontier is the smallest zone.
- The longest platform of world is in Gorakhpur railway station, Uttar Pradesh. The longest rail route is from Jammu-Tavi to Kanyakumari (3,726 kilometers).
- Indian Railway is the property of Indian government. Minister of Railway operates it.
- IR is one of the largest employers in India and world. It is the ninth largest employer in world.
- On 24 October, 1984 the first metro rail was started in Kolkata, West Bengal.First Air Cooling was introduced in 1874 in Great Indian Peninsular Railway.
- The fastest train in india is the Delhi-Bhopal Shatabdi Express. Lucknow is the busiest station.
Different manufacturing units of Indian Railway
|Sl. No||Name||Location||Main products|
|1.||Golden Rock Locomotive Workshops||Trichy||Diesel-electric Locomotives|
|2.||Chittaranjan Locomotive Works||Chittaranjan, Asansol||Electric Locomotives|
|3.||Diesel Locomotive Works||Varanasi||Diesel Locomotives|
|4.||Diesel-Loco Modernisation Works||Patiala||Diesel-electric Locomotives|
|5.||Integral Coach Factory||Chennai||Passenger coaches|
|6.||Rail Coach Factory||Kapurthala||Passenger coaches|
|7.||Rail Spring Karkhana||Gwalior||Passenger coach springs|
|8.||Rail Wheel Factory||Bangalore||Railway wheels and axles|
|9.||Rail Wheel Factory||Chhapra||Railway wheels|
|10.||Rail Coach Factory, Raebareli||Raebareli||Passenger coaches|