- He was born in Limbani, Nepal around 563 BCE on a Poornima. That’s why his anniversary is celebrated as a ‘Buddha Poornima’.
- His father was Shuddhodhana, the king of Kapilavastu and his mother was Mayadevi. He lost his mother after the seventh day of his birth and brought up by his step mother Goutami.
- His earlier name was Siddhartha. He married Yaśodharā. They had a son named Rāhula.
- When he was born astrologers predicted that he will be either a great king or a great holy man. His father tried to hide him from the religious teachings and the sufferings of daily life. One day when he was travelling in his chariot he saw an old man, a sick person, a corpse. This introduced him to the world of suffering. He left the palace for the search of the truth and to find the meaning of life. He was only 29 at that time.
- At the age of 35, under a pipal tree (now known as bodhi tree), near Bodh Gaya, India he ultimately founded what he was searching for.
- At first he was not interested in teaching the dharma. Because it was too difficult to teach in words what he had learned. He thought people will misunderstood his teachings. Atlast he was convinced by Brahmā Sahampati to teach his dharma. He gave his first sermon at Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh.
- Buddha traveled all over the India to teach his lessons until his death at age 80. He was died in 483 BCE. at Kushinagar, India.
Quick Facts about Goutam Buddha
|Born:||563 BCE,at Lumbini (present-day in Nepal)|
|Family:||Father: Shuddhodhana, Mother: Mayadevi, Wife: Yaśodharā , Son: Rahula|
|Famous for:||Founder of Buddhism|
|Died at:||483 BCE, at Kushinagar (present-day in Uttar Pradesh, India)|