Ratan Tata is an Indian businessman. He was the chairman of the most famous Indian brand Tata Group.
- Ratan Tata’s father was Naval Tata and mother was Sooni. Naval Tata was adopted by Jamsetji’s younger childless son Ratan Tata (Grandfather’s name was same). At an age of seven Ratan Tata’s parents got separated. He was raised by his grandmother Navajbai.
- Ratan Tata studied at Campion School in Bombay, Bishop Cotton School in Shimla and Cathedral and John Connon School. He completed his B.S. on Architecture from Cornell University in 1962. He got his degree in Advanced Management Program from Harvard Business School in 1975.
- From his childhood he was interested in the cars.
- Besides being great grandson of Jamsetji Tata, Ratan Tata started his career in Tata Group in 1962 as a general worker in the Tata steel. He did not have to work there for a long time.
- He was made chairman of Tata group in 1991 after the J.R.D Tata’s resignation. At that time many people criticized that decision as he does not have that level of experience to run a company as big as Tata’s.
- Under the leadership of Ratan Tata, Tata Group became a global brand. Tata group acquired many companies including Tetley, Jaguar Land Rover, and Corus. TCS was also build in his leadership.
- His interest in car also helped to build Tata Nano and Tata Indica.
- On 28 December, 2012 Ratan Tata resigned from the post of chairman of Tata Group. Cyrus Mistry took his post.
- Ratan Tata won Padma Bhushan in 2000 and Padma Vibhushan in 2008. He was awarded Lifetime Achievement Award by Rockefeller Foundation in 2012.
Quick Facts about Ratan Tata
|D.O.B:||28 December 1937|
|Family:||Father: Naval Tata, Mother: Sooni, Grandmother: Navajbai, Grandfather: Ratan Tata, Great Grandfather: Jamsetji Tata|
|Education:||B.S from Cornell University in 1962, Management Program from Harvard Business School in 1975|
|Fomous For:||Chairman of Tata Group|
|Awards:||Padma Bhushan in 2000 and Padma Vibhushan in 2008|