India gate is a famous national monument of India also known as ‘All India War Memorial’. It is located in the capital of India, Delhi.
- India gate was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. It was established in 1927 and unveiled in 1933.
- It was made to recall the soldiers of British Indian Army who died for the country in World War I and the Third Anglo-Afghan War.
- It is made of sandstone and granite. The height of India gate is 42 meter approximately. The names of the soldiers who died in war are written on the wall.
- The inspiration of its design came from Arc de Triomphe of Paris.
- Before the independence there were some British statues in front of the India gate. After the independence they were moved to Coronation Park.
- Amar Jawan Jyoti is located beside the India gate. Awar jawan jyoti was lighted in 1971 by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi to recall the soldiers who died in indo-pak war. From then it is still lightning.