Vikram Sarabhai was an Indian scientist. His effort helped to establish Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO). He was a famous physicist. He is also called ‘Father of Indian space program’ sometimes.
- He was born in Ahmedabad, Gujarat on 12 August 1919 in a rich Jain family.
- Vikram Sarabhai’s parents were Ambalal Sarabhai and Sarla Devi. His father was a famous industrialist. Vikram married Mrinalini Sarabhai, a celebrated classical dancer. Before marring Mrinalini he had a long relationship with Dr.Kamala Choudhary. Vikram Sarabhai has two children- son Kartikeya and daughter Mallika. In 2010 Mallika Sarabhai was awarded with Padma Bhushan and in 2012 his son won Padma Shri.
|Vikram Sarabhai (1919-1971)|
- On November 11, 1947 after the independence of India, He established a research institution in Ahmedabad with the help of his family. This institution is known as Physical Research Laboratory (PRL).
- Sarabhai played a critical role in the establishment of ISRO. After the independence of India many people had questioned the requirement of a space program in India. India was a developing country at that time and space program required a huge amount of money. But Sarabhai convinced the government.
- The first rocket launching station at Thumba near Thiruvananthapuram was established with the help of Dr. Homi Jehangir Bhabha and Sarabhai.
- In 1966 he founded a Community Science Centre at Ahmedabad. This is now called Vikram A Sarabhai Community Science Centre. He established the Operations Research Group (ORG), the first market research organization in the country. He also established Nehru Foundation for Development in Ahmedabad, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad ((IIMA), Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR) in Kalpakkam, Variable Energy Cyclotron Project in Calcutta, and Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL) in Jaduguda, Jharkhand.
- He was awarded with the Padma Bhushan (1966), Padma Vibhushan (after-death) (1972).
- On 30 December 1971, Virram Sarabhai died.
Quick Facts about Vikram Sarabhai
|Name:||Dr. Vikram Sarabhai|
|D.O.B:||12 August, 1919|
|Family:||Parents: Ambalal and Sarla Devi, Wife: Mrinalini Sarabhai, Son: Kartikeya, Daughter: Mallika|
|Education:||University of Cambridge|
|Famous for:||Founder of Indian space program, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Physical Research Laboratory|
|A.K.A:||"Father of indian space program"|
|Awards:||Padma Bhushan (1966)
Padma Vibhushan, posthumous (after-death) (1972)
|Died on:||30 December 1971|