Mamata Banerjee is an Indian politician. She is the Chief Minister of West Bengal and is the first women chief minister of West Bengal. She is the founder and chairperson of the political party All India Trinamool Congress (in short Trinamool Congress).
- Mamata Banerjee was born in Kolkata in a Bengali family on 5th January 1955.
- Her parents were Promileswar Banerjee and Gayetri Devi. Her father was died early when she was young.
- She completed his history honours degree from Jogamaya Devi College. Later from University of Calcutta she passed his Masters degree in Islamic History. She also has a degree in Education and degree in law which she passed from Shri Shikshayatan College and from Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College.
- Mamata Banerjee started her political career when she was a student in a school. She joined congress and quickly became the general secretary of the state mahila congress.
- She is one of the youngest politicians in India who made a seat in parliament when she beaten Somnath Chatterjee in 1984 general election. She was able to retain the Kolkata south seat from 1991-2009 elections.
- She was Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development, Youth Affairs and Sports, and Women and Child Development during the time of 1991
- She established All India Trinamool Congress in 1997 leaving congress.
- She was allocated the railway ministry in 1999 when she joined NDA government. But in 2000 she resigned railway ministry to protest hike in petroleum prices. In 2001 she left NDA. Later for a few months in 2004 she joined NDA.
- In 2009 she joined United Progressive Alliance (UPA) led by Indian National Congress. She was made Railway Minister again. But on 18 Sep 2012 she left UPA to protest government’s decision to allow FDI in retail markets.
- Mamata Banerjee protested against the government of West Bengal and Tata Motors in a decision to setup a car factory in Singur in 2006. She also protested the Nandigram violence where government tried to acquire land for a chemical hub forcefully.
- In 2011,TMC won the West Bengal legislative assembly election. They won against the Communist Party of India (Marxist). Their victory ended the 34 year ruling of CPI(M).
Quick Information About Mamata Banerjee
|Family:||Father:Promileswar Banerjee Mother: Gayetri Devi|
Jogamaya Devi College(History honours),University of Calcutta(Masters in
Shri Shikshayatan College(education) and from Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College(Law degree).