Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun. It is also the second nearest planet to the Earth and probably the first planet visited by humans.
- It has an orbital period equal to 687 Earth days and a rotational period equal to 24hrs 37mins and 22.6 seconds. Therefore there are 668 Martian days in a Martian Year.
- The highest known surface point on Mars is a huge volcano known as 'Olympus Mons'. It stretches 24km high above the lava plains around it and it has a base measuring 600km.
- Mars has two moons and their names are Deimos and Phobos.
- The surface gravity of Mars is only about 38% of the surface gravity of Earth. That means if you weigh 100 pounds on Earth then you would weigh only 38 pounds on Mars.
- It is called the 'Red Planet' ,because its iron-rich dust gives it landscape a rusty-red color.
- At the equator, Mars is a comfortable 80 degrees Fahrenheit, but the temperature at its poles can get down to 199 degrees below zero.